So here is the second part of my two-part series on my working life. Part 1, if you missed it, is here.
Business Development Co-ordinator
Another grand title for a not-so-grand job! It was a new business start-up within Plymouth University, government-funded, to support small food producers in the South West. I had a lovely office with French doors out to a beautiful garden but the main thing I remember about that job is being incredibly lonely, as I was working alone, as my boss was always out and about. It was hellishly quiet and I was bored much of the time. I stayed less than a year.
Out of the frying pan into the fire – I took this job in Exeter city centre, which was quite a long commute, and horrendously long hours. I loved the girls I worked with, and many parts of the job I really enjoyed, but I loathed the pressure to sell, and didn’t any have confidence in my sales ability. I had sleepless nights over the cold calling that we had to do.
It all started falling apart fairly rapidly towards the end of my 12 months there – my boss was losing the plot (he was having problems at home and becoming quite volatile in the office); I received a phone call at home at 4 in the morning from the company’s Night Service wanting information which had been faxed to them the day before, which I complained about, but my boss seemed to think a 4 am phone call was perfectly acceptable; and the final straw – my mum phoned me at work (a very rare occurrence), and left a message with my boss for me to call her back, as I was on another call. My boss didn’t give me the message, and my mum eventually phoned again. She had called to tell me my grandmother had died. The boss didn’t even apologise.
I left that day and never went back. My letter of resignation crossed in the post with their’s, firing me.
PA to Chairman
After licking my wounds for a month or so, I took this job, very close to home, with good hours and nice people, organizing the life and work of a very busy, and very nice, chap. It was just what I needed at the time – really interesting work, reasonable hours, good money and plenty of autonomy as far as organizing my own workload was concerned. I stayed for a very happy two years until I went on maternity leave. I would happily have gone back, but they needed me to work full-time and I only wanted part-time after having Will.
I started this job when Will was five months old, working in the Property Department at the local Council, two days a week on a job-share. Again, it was just what I needed at the time – getting out of the house a couple of days a week, work not too arduous, wearing something smart and not covered in baby sick, and mixing with other adults rather than just a baby!
I left after four years, when Will started school, as I wanted to be able to pick him up at the end of the school day, and I didn’t finish work until 5.30 pm, so the hours didn’t really work for me any more.
Clerk to Governors
I’ve been doing this job for the best part of 10 years now. It’s VERY part-time, mostly working from home, for a local Primary School. I started at one school, then took on another school and worked for both for some time, then dropped the first one, and am still at the second one.
I like the work, it’s really quite easy money, and the way it fits into my life suits me perfectly.
My other current ‘job’, which I love 98% of the time and loathe the other 2%! I feel as though it’s my perfect niche, and I really wouldn’t change my working life now for anything. It suits me really well.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about my career history as much as I’ve enjoyed writing it – it’s brought back all sorts of memories. I’d love to know what some of my readers have done work-wise – what was your favourite/worst job?