1. The cold. I hate the bloody cold. Not least because of the ridiculous heating bills. £100 a month on gas, I’m spending at the moment. And I only have the heating on for a couple of hours in the morning and from 4 to 8.30 in the evening. Maybe a bit longer at weekends. As for the electric – £130 last month. I blame the hot tub, which is costing more because of the cold weather.
2. Wet washing inside the house. I don’t own a tumble dryer a) because I don’t have a suitable location for one and b) to try and keep electric costs down (ha ha, see number 1). I have managed to dry the laundry outside only a couple of times so far this year, and I can’t wait to get some decent drying weather.
3. Dry skin and chapped lips. However much body lotion and lip salve I slather on, my skin feels like sandpaper. Am SO over it.
4. Dark mornings, dark evenings. Although we’re seeing the light (geddit?!) at the end of the tunnel now, and we’re well on the way to longer, brighter days, thank goodness.
5. Winter food. I love soups and stews as much as the next person, but I’ve always had enough of them by this time of year. I want to crave salads and pasta, and barbecues, and when it’s still this cold, I just don’t.