We were supposed to be going out for dinner tonight, with three couples who all have kids in Will’s class at school. We’ve fallen into a pattern over the last couple of years of getting together once a term for a meal out, and it’s always a fun evening.
Anyway, long story short, one of the couples was let down earlier this week by their babysitter, then we couldn’t get a restaurant booking until 9 pm, which was far from ideal. So after a couple of cheeky glasses of mid-week Pinot Grigio on Wednesday night, Ashley suggested we had them all over for dinner here instead – which seemed like a great idea at the time.
Apart from the fact that I now have five kids and eight adults to cook for tonight, a house that needs to be cleaned from top to bottom (domestic slattern, me?), and a husband who despite having promised me faithfully he wouldn’t be working today, has sloped off to the office.
So far this morning, I have:
- Made a lengthy shopping list.
- Shouted at Will to tidy up his Warhammer which is all over the dining room table.
- Hoovered and dusted the lounge.
- Shouted at Will to feed his tortoise.
- Hoovered and dusted the dining room.
- Shouted at Will to move his school bag and all its contents from the lounge carpet.
- Baked and stuffed about 50 miniature potatoes (DELICIOUS to eat, but oh so very fiddly and tedious to make.
- Shouted at William to put his dirty laundry in the laundry basket rather than all over his bedroom floor.
- Cleaned the bathroom.
- Shouted at Will for weeing all over the toilet seat, getting toothpaste all over the basin and leaving a pile of towels on the bathroom floor AFTER I’d cleaned it.